Thursday, August 03, 2006

Awakened

So yesterday, after a too long of an absence, I managed to play a bit. Funny how real life gets in the way. Couldn't find any of my favourites with any living beings on them so I randomly picked a server with some folks playing Wake.

Now many of you will understand when I say I hate Wake. Some people complain about balance issues, but I personally don't like the nakedness of it. Mind you if there's no place to hide and no place to run then you are forced to fight, which is probably a good thing for a newb like me.

I was on US side, and like most newbs, I love flying the attack helos. The game had already started when I connected but I thought I'd spawn on the carrier just to see if I could get it. It was out on a mission, so I hitched a ride on the flying bus and got into the action pretty quick.

I tried to join all the squads on my team but they were locked. I seem to always have a hard time joining squads. Why do people lock them so often? Why why why? I think most of my play is solo only because I can't seem to get into squads. Yes I've complained about this before but I can't seem to find a solution.

I used to have problems while flying and driving where I'd accidentally hit C instead of X, and my view would get messed up and I couldn't recover in time, almost always resulting in me watching a front or rear view of my own death. "Just use the function keys" is the helpful response from my mates, however I have one of those "corner" computer desks where both the desk and keyboard drawer are curved, and the drawer doesn't pull out far enough, so all my function keys are obscured by the desk surface. In fact some of my numeric keys are obscured as well, but the F keys are the worst. If I want to press a function key I have to stop what I'm doing, grab my keyboard and lift it out of the keyboard drawer, press the F key then replace it. This isn't a good setup for BF2 to say the least. I tried to remount the keyboard drawer more forward but its as far as it can go. I might look for mounting hardware that pulls out further but until that happens I'm S.O.L.

So anyhow, what I ended up doing was remapping my C key to somewhere on the numeric keypad, out of reach of an accidental tap. Of course yesterday I'd forgotten that I had done this, so for the entire round I was desperately tap-tap-tapping C trying to change my cockpit view whenever I got into a helo. Dumbass.

Playing solo, I was playing somewhat opportunistically. If an attack helo was available, I took it and managed a cap or two and took out some enemy vehicles as well as denied them their J10 jet as it sat on the runway. If nothing was available I'd hike it out to undefended flags and take them or wait for backup when things got hairy. I stole a few tanks along the way too, which brings up point about this weird bug I've been having since day 1.

I use a Logitech Trackman trackball for gaming, I prefer it over a mouse. That being said, I have a very weird control issue. Taking a tank turret as an example, if I turn the turret right with the trackball, and do it very very slow, it tracks right very very slow. If I turn it a bit faster, it turns a bit faster. Now if I turn it right very fast, the turret slows down and turns slow. It's like there's this maximum rotational speed and if I go over this speed with my trackball then whatever I'm controlling slows down inversely. Strange. It seems to be selective though, as I only notice it with vehicle turrets, machine guns etc but not controlling my player's view nor a helo. I'm using the stock Windows XP mouse driver. AnotherEd uses the exact same trackball and driver combination, but reports no problems. I might switch to a regular mouse for BF2 if I remember next time.

I would also like it if I could change the mouse sensitivity of the main turret gun separately from the machine gun, as the turret is fine but the machine gun moves around too quick.

Lesson to learn: Remember my keyboard remappings!

Lesson confirmed: There's still something I need to figure out how to join squads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home