Friday, July 21, 2006

Routing at Rowdy Guns

Last night all of my favourite servers were either completely full or completely empty, so I hopped onto the Rowdy Guns server. Things were going okay for a while, but once Operation Clean Sweep loaded, things started to fall apart.

Now I guess I may as well get it out of the way: I'm just a Corporal, having logged just over 35 hours multiplayer, so yes, I'm a newb. Yes, I suck. No, I don't know all the intricacies of this game. Yes, I'll complain about them anyway thank you very much.

I was MEC. Sniper. Why sniper? Since I'm a newb, I feel it is my duty to learn to play every class equally for a while until I get the hang of them. Yesterday was sniper day. Anyhow, I tried to join the squads, but as usual for me, they were all locked and I couldn't join any. So I went solo and worked on defense of the 1st flag at the front line, and called in enemy positions. As it turned out, the enemy took a transport helo to our main airbase in the back island, took it over and started a 2-prong approach.

After a while it dawned on me that our team had no commander, so I stuck up my hand and got myself the job. After about 5 minutes of raining death on pretty much nothing, and only having 1 request for supplies, I resigned, hoping someone with some good leadership skills would take over. No such luck.

We were being pounded pretty heavily from the air, I think they had stolen our jet, and we were being constantly dogged whereever we went. After very little success fighting the air units, I decided to spec ops and take out their artillery and command trailer. I didn't get too far, because their commander was scanning me and artying me at almost every opportunity that I had to get to a boat. At one point I had finally gotten a boat, then about halfway across I came up against a boat with 2 soldiers in it; I tried to outrun them since I was outgunned but they killed me a few hundred yards from the shore.

Since that didn't work I went back to sniper and spawned back at our rear bases, first trying to get a jet, but one of our guys managed to be doing okay with that. I took up a ground AA and took down a few helos and a jet or 2, but our ground forces weren't having much luck defending flags so I decided to go help. At this point we had 2 flags left, and the enemy was closing in. I was running towards our mobile AA vehicle when suddenly I got a few rounds in the back from a teammate. I checked the scoreboard and he had a score of -6, so I figured he was just learning. A while later he did the same thing, again and again. Always shooting me to within an inch of death then leaving. I called for an admin - there were a bunch of {GOB} players on - but no on seemed to care. I guess they only care when it's affecting their team. I read their rules which states "No TK'ing allowed" but I guess that doesn't include team "wounding". At one point the player actually TK'd me and I was happy to not forgive him. Right after that I spawned and another player who had just shown up TK'd me again. Great.

My buddy AnotherEd lives by the motto "PGUP for thumbs up! Always forgive!" which I generally do but I seem to attract the idiots. I might try Rowdy Guns again but if idiots are allowed to run free then that'll be another server on my Snuff List.

Lesson to learn: Why can't I join squads? Why would squad leaders lock people out who just want to help their team?

Lesson confirmed: I am a magnet for idiots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home